Based: SSL, Begbroke Oxford
Reporting to: R&D Support Team Leader
Conditions: Full time, salaried
As part of the R&D team, you will be responsible for building, supporting product development and validating our mechanical solutions. This role is very hands on, you’ll be involved in development from concept to final delivery.
The Engineer will require fabrication and assembly skills. You will be responsible for sourcing materials, managing BOMs and documenting the build process. During the design cycle, you are likely to be supporting with 3D printing, building concept models to inform ergonomics, styling, and technology choices. During the development phase you would be involved in building the prototypes, completing the environmental testing, and overseeing the transition into production.
The nature of the job requires good teamwork and organizational skills. We are looking for an engineer with either previous industrial experience or has an engineering educational background that can demonstrate strong hands-on skills. This role could also suit a fresh graduate or a junior engineer looking for a path into product design.
- Building and supporting development of prototypes and sub-assemblies.
- Generating BOMs and build instructions.
- Selecting, managing and sourcing materials.
- Coordinating between SSLs teams and subcontractors.
- Providing engineering support to all parts of the business.
- Responsible for controlling engineering changes.
- Environmental testing of our products.
- A focus on product improvements, design for manufacture and service.
Knowledge and Skills:
- Engineering/Production background or educated mixed with strong practical skills.
- Mechanical and metal work fabrication skills.
- Ability to read engineering drawings and build complicated assemblies.
- Soldering and looming skills would be desirable.
- Computer literate with familiarity of Microsoft Office and CAD packages.
- 3D Printing knowledge and techniques.
- Basic electronic knowledge, with the ability to recognize component types and an appreciation of circuitry functionality would be advantageous.
- Self-motivated. With the capability to work in a team or as an individual with minimum supervision.
- Ability to prioritize and multitask in a logical manner.
- Strong organizational skills, proactive attitude with a high focus on teamwork.
- Analytical, with good attention to detail and excellent communication skills.
- High level of technical competence coupled with strong problem-solving skills.
- The strength not to be happy with the status quo and be outward looking.
- Willingness to go the extra mile to meet tight timescales and project deadlines.
Please send your CV, salary expectations and covering letter to [email protected]. Your covering letter should highlight the extent to which your skills/experience meets the requirements of the role, and your motivation behind applying. To apply for this position, you must already have the right to work in the UK.
General Data Protection Regulations Notification:
Your personal information will be used by Solid State Logic for the purposes of recruitment and its administration. The company limits the storage of your data to the required period and therefore, we will only retain your personal information for as long as you are in an application process. Once all application procedures have been completed, your data will be deleted. By applying for this position, you are confirming your acceptance of these conditions.