Based: Begbroke, Oxford
Reporting to: Hardware Design Team Leader
Conditions: Full Time, Salaried
This is a fantastic opportunity to join a well-established engineering company who are world leaders in the analogue and digital audio field. The role of the graduate hardware engineer would be well suited to talented fresh graduates or even junior engineers looking for a significant challenge. Working closely with an expert team of software and hardware engineers, the successful hardware engineer will get involved with taking products from initial concept through to production, enabling you to gain wide experience of the electronic product design process.
The ideal candidate should be able to offer a concept design for most, if not all, of the following:
1) Three simple voltage gain stage designs each with a gain of fifty. One of the designs should be based on an op-amp, the second should be based on a BJT transistor and a third should use a JFET.
2) A low-cost FPGA or Microcontroller based hardware system for controlling 300 LEDs on a user control panel / interface. You can augment the FPGA or Microcontroller with 74HC type logic as you may feel necessary to complete the concept design minimising the number of pins used on the FPGA or Microcontroller. The design should update the LEDs over 20,000 times every second so that interference from making changes to the LEDs does not produce interference in the audio band. You should also be able to write pseudocode to support your concept hardware design.
3) Using an op-amp and some transistors, make a small and very simple power amplifier that can deliver ten watts of sinusoidal power into a ten ohm load.
This work is representative of the type of engineering challenges that we face daily.
- With the support and mentoring from our senior engineers, perform innovative high-speed digital and analogue design for new products
- Design circuits and draw schematics so that accurate circuit information is available to the PCB designers
- Contribute to VHDL FPGA firmware development
- Support the efficient production, test, qualification, and integration of new designs
- Undertake testing and debugging of our design, ensuring that the design meets the design specification
- Help with managing obsolescence, including identifying and designing alternative parts
- Provide support on product design issues and product improvement (including engineering design, documentation, and configuration control)
- Provide support to the Service and Production departments to resolve design and other hardware/firmware issues
Key Qualifications and Experiences:
- Strong academic background (2.1 or higher) in electronic engineering or similar subject
- Good understanding of electronics design (ideally analogue and digital circuit design)
- Knowledge and experience with FPGA, ASIC or RTL design, VHDL or Verilog programming and hardware verification
- Understanding of digital signal processing concepts
- Experience with software programming in higher level languages as well as assembler would be a distinct advantage.
- Proven ability to meet deadlines
- Have good initiative and the ability to work with a low level of supervision
- Ability to analyse a problem and complete detailed reports
- Highly focused, self-motivated with an interest in extending their knowledge and skills
- Enjoys working in a team environment
- Analytical and keen attention to detail and excellent communication skills
- A good balance of practical skills and theoretical understanding
- An interest in audio and/or music would be an advantage
Please send your CV, salary expectations and covering letter to [email protected] Your covering letter should highlight the extent to which your skills/experience meets the requirements of the role, and your motivation behind applying. To apply for this position, you must already have the right to work in the UK.
General Data Protection Regulations Notification:
Your personal information will be used by Solid State Logic for the purposes of recruitment and its administration. The company limits the storage of your data to the required period and therefore we will only retain your personal information for as long as you are in an application process. Once all application procedures have been completed, your data will be deleted. By applying for this position, you are confirming your acceptance of these conditions.